Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection
The City contracts with Local Waste Services, a local waste hauler, to collect garbage, recycling, yard waste and small tree limbs from the community. Please note if you live in an apartment or condominium complex, your hauler and service levels may be different. Please contact your landlord or property manager for more information.
General Collection Guidelines
- Collection Day: All homes in Whitehall are collected on Wednesday.
- Cart/Can Placement: Please bring your garbage, recycling and yard waste to the curb prior to sundown on Tuesday.
- Cart/Can Type: Residents may use their own garbage containers of any make or size, and 18- gallon recycling toters are available from City Hall. You may also rent garbage and/or recycling containers directly from Local Waste (fees may apply).
- Bulk Items: Bulk items may be set out each week with normal collection, or as part of unlimited collection days like Spring-Clean Up. Accepted items include furniture and small appliances. Unaccepted items include construction debris, refrigerators/freezers and household hazardous waste. There is no need to call ahead for bulk item removal.
Recycling in Franklin County is processed by the Solid Waste Agency of Central Ohio (SWACO). They operate a single-stream recycling facility, meaning that you can mix your recyclables prior to collection. Please place items loosely in your bin (do not bag or bundle). Learn more about what can and cannot be recycling in Franklin County below, or from Recycle Right.
|Acceptable Items:||Unacceptable Items:|
Yard Waste Collection
Put all yard waste in organically biodegradable bags or containers reserved for and marked "Yard Waste", and then place at curb for regular collection. "Yard Waste" stickers are available in the Service Department at City Hall, or may be placed into organically biodegradable bags specifically designed for this purpose. These bags can be purchased at hardware or home supply stores. Plastic garbage bags are not acceptable for this purpose.
Brush and Tree Limb Collection
In addition to household trash and recyclables, Local Waste Services picks up brush, tree limbs and other yard waste every trash collection day of the year. To participate, please the following is required:
- Tree limbs and brush must be cut in lengths no longer than 4 feet
- Tied with twine into manageable bundles, no more than 2 feet in diameter
- Placed at the curb where your other trash is placed
- City Chipper: The City will pick up brush and tree limbs not accepted by Local Waste Services as manpower allows. Thorns and dead brush must be removed. Logs or stumps larger than 14 inches in diameter or longer than 3 feet cannot be picked up by City forces. Any logs or stumps, which do not conform to these requirements, must be removed by a private hauler or must be cut or split to meet these standards.
Please note: If a tree service is hired to trim or cut down a tree, the property owner is solely responsible for that removal. Whole trees cut down either by the resident or by a tree service will not be removed by the City.
The City also encourages residents to consider how to recycle, donate or otherwise reuse your unwanted items before sending them to the landfill. Not sure of what to do with your items? The Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) has a comprehensive Recycle and Reuse Search Tool, available here >>
- Small appliances
- Scrap tires (off rims)
- Tree limbs/brush (as described above)
- Air conditioners
- Hazardous waste
- Construction debris (Exception: We will pick up building materials during Spring Clean-Up once all nails are removed, and the pieces are cut or broken up into sizes that will fit into a trash can, sturdy box or garbage bag. If you are disposing of carpeting, we request that you please cut and bundle your carpeting/padding into manageable 4-foot lengths for easier removal.)