- City Government
- Departments and Divisions
- Permit Information
Most home improvement and commercial projects require a building or zoning permit before beginning work. Listed below are projects that require permits.
- New construction for commercial and residential buildings
- Additions and alterations to existing structures (Residential wall inspection requirements)
- Installation of roofing materials (Residential roofing requirements)
- Installation of siding where existing siding is removed
- Installation of furnaces and/or duct work
- Installation of air conditioning work and/or duct work
- Storage sheds exceeding 200 square feet (for less than 200 square feet see zoning permit list below)
- Installation of or repair to decks
- All electrical work including replacement of service panels
- All plumbing work including installation of water heater (minor work as determined by the chief building official is exempt)
- Demolition (city standards for demolition can be found on the checklist our inspector uses)
- Installation or construction of heating stoves, fireplaces or chimneys
- Fire protection (suppression systems and fire alarm systems)
- Installation of commercial kitchen equipment
- Installation of windows and doors only if exterior wall openings change size or location
- Ingress and egress stairs for any structure
- Any structural repairs, building or remodeling projects made necessary for the health, safety and welfare of the inhabitants or the public
- Temporary tents for commercial use (inspection required prior to occupying)
- Installation of solar panels (requires building and electrical permit applications)
- Installation of backup generator (requires electrical and HVAC piping permit applications)
- Fences of all types
- Replacement of sidewalks within public right of way and driveway approaches
- Construction of new driveways and parking lots or resurfacing or recapping of existing driveways and parking lots
- Storage sheds 200 square feet or less
- Patios and decks 200 square feet or less
- Swimming pool intended for recreational bathing (Pool/hot tub requirements)
- Sewer, water, gas taps (excavation permit application)
- Sanitary sewer clean out (excavation permit application)
- Commercial signage
- Commercial occupancy
Commercial Fee Schedule
Residential Fee Schedule
Application and Plan Submittal
Applications can be submitted in person, by mail at 360 S. Yearling Road or via email to the Building Department at [email protected]
All commercial plans must be digitally submitted. Residential plans must be digitally submitted or submitted as 8.5" x 11" or 11" x 17" in person or by mail. General submission instructions:
- Plans must be submitted as a PDF. Please include the application and set of plans/drawings and necessary supporting documents.
- Drawings may be emailed or a link sent for download, depending on file size, to the Building Department.
- Drawings will be reviewed and digitally stamped. The drawings or a link for download, depending on file size, will be emailed to the applicant upon payment of any current permit or plan review fees.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to print the drawings and have them available at the job site for review by the inspector.
Download an Application
Contractor Registration Packet
All contractors working in Whitehall must register with the City of Whitehall and meet all registration requirements listed on first page of packet. Download a list of registered contractors >>
Before you open a new business, you are required to complete an Occupancy Registration Application. Submit this application to the Building Department for approval. Once the application is approved and fee is paid, an occupancy inspection by our Building and Fire departments will occur to make certain the space is in compliance with current building and fire codes. You should verify the zoning is correct for proposed use before signing a lease.
Utility Right of Way Permits
- Right of Way Construction / Minor Maintenance Permit - For utility companies only*
- *If anyone other than a utility company needs to open up the street, please submit a letter or email to the Building Department explaining the reason for the request.