Careers in Law Enforcement
Are you a career-minded individual who has the character and drive to be a part of the Whitehall law enforcement team? We invite you to learn about the application process, benefits and career paths available to police officers below.
If you're interested in becoming a dispatcher / communications operator or police records clerk, please learn more about those roles and application processes here.
Police Officer Application Process
The process to become a Police Officer with the Whitehall Division of Police is multi-phased. A candidate may be removed at any stage of the process for failing any step or not meeting hiring criteria. Here's an overview of what to expect:
- Read over the qualifications to become a Whitehall Division of Police Officer and the City's Police Hiring Standards
- Submit your application to take the Police Officer Entrance Exam through the City of Whitehall's Human Resources Department. Check to see if we are currently testing here.
- Schedule and take the Police Officer Entrance Exam.
- Top candidates are selected for first-round interviews.
- Top candidates complete a polygraph test and background check.
- Conditional employment offer is made.
- Candidate takes physical.
- Candidate completes psychological test.
- Either receive your official start date or receive your start date for the Ohio Police Officer Training Academy.
Police Officer Benefits and Incentives
- Competitive medical, dental & vision insurance
- City-funded life insurance policy
- Flexible Spending Account
- Annual service credit after 5 years
- Generous holiday, personal & vacation leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Deferred Compensation
- Professional development opportunities
Police Officer Salary (2020 Figures)
- First year: $66,164.80
- Second year: $85,633.60
- Third year: $90,459.20
- Fourth year: $94,099.20
- Fifth year: $97,115.20
When you join the team at the Whitehall Division of Police as a police officer, your career trajectory does not end there. In fact, you can pursue your interests and develop skills across multiple career paths while with the City of Whitehall, including:
- Police Officer
- Patrol Officer
- SWAT Officer
- School Resource Officer
- Drug Task Force Member
- Promotional Opportunities