- Our Community
- Norton Crossing DORA
Norton Crossing DORA
What is a DORA?
Dora may be everyone’s favorite explorer, but in Whitehall a DORA (Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area) is a designated location where community members who are 21+ can enjoy adult beverages, sold by licensed liquor establishments, outdoors.
Norton Crossing DORA Overview
The City of Whitehall has established a DORA for the specified area encompassing businesses and community amenities near the intersection of East Broad Street and Hamilton Road (see map below). At first, the DORA will serve the southwest corner of the intersection, with 2 Tones Brewing Co. , Old Bag of Nails Pub and Holiday Lanes all participating.
The DORA also includes the new community park within Norton Crossing (The Kelley Green), which allows for licensed liquor establishments and special event liquor license holders to serve adult beverages to community members at special events, such as Market on the Green and Movies on the Green. Don’t worry, we’ll still have our more family-oriented movie series Movies in the Moonlight at John Bishop Park too.
Because of the DORA, during certain hours (even without a special event), community members are able to grab an adult beverage from one of the above establishments (served in a special DORA cup) and sit outdoors with family and friends at the new park to enjoy a picnic, play cornhole and more.
Later, the DORA will be expanded to include licensed liquor establishments in the new development coming to the northeast corner of the intersection. Given that these establishments won’t be open for about two years, we’ll share more on expanding the DORA later. In the meantime, major intersection improvements (designed to increase pedestrian, cyclist and motorist safety) are planned for the Broad Street and Hamilton Road intersection. Read more about the major improvements here…
Dates and Hours
- The DORA will be in operation from March 1 to October 31 each calendar year.
- The hours of operation will be 4 to 10 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Additional hours of operation may be designated by the Director of Development and Public Service and/or the Director of Parks and Recreation to coincide with City and community events.
- All adult beverages must be served in an official biodegradable Norton Crossing DORA cup; A new, unused cup must be used for each beverage
- Only one DORA cup/DORA beverage may be served to an individual at a time
- All adult beverages must be served by licensed liquor establishments or holders of a special event liquor license
- DORA participants may not enter the premises of another DORA establishment while possessing an official DORA beverage acquired elsewhere. Cups must be disposed of before entering those establishments.
Staying Safe and Respecting the Neighborhood
- Boundaries: Boundary signage will be installed on the perimeter of the DORA and these boundaries will be strictly enforced. For planned events that may draw an additional crowd, the Division of Police will assign additional Police Officers to the DORA as needed.
- Garbage and Recycling: The City of Whitehall Public Service Department will be responsible for ensuring that all trash receptacles in the DORA are emptied regularly, that any litter from the DORA is promptly collected.
- Respectful Behavior: Participants must follow all the Rules of the DORA, and maintain the decorum of good behavior. DORA hours will be strictly enforced out of respect for neighbors to the DORA. Violators could face a fine of up to $150 per ORC 4301.62.