The City of Whitehall’s garbage and recycling collection contract with Local Waste Services expires at the end of 2020. Through a competitive bidding process, the City has awarded the next five-year collection contract to Local Waste. As part of that new contract, the City is moving to a new standardized-cart program in which all homes will be issued a new wheeled 65-gallon recycling cart and a new wheeled garbage cart (95-gallon, 65-gallon or 35-gallon) free-of-charge thanks to over $200,000 in grants from the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) and The Recycling Partnership. This program will replace the current program in which residents use any garbage can of their choice and are provided with 18-gallon recycling totes.
As part of the new wheeled-cart program, each household was asked to select a standard garbage cart size for their family’s waste needs, choosing from a 95-gallon (the default size), 65-gallon or 35-gallon cart, with reduced fees for the two smaller cart options. Those households who did not select a garbage cart size will be issued a 95-gallon cart.
- October 1: City launched an outreach campaign to invite residents to select their new garbage cart size.
- Mid-October: Postcards mailed to eligible households (Note: This program is for those who already participate in the City’s collection program with Local Waste. Most apartment complexes/buildings with four or more residential units in a single dwelling have individual contracts with waste haulers).
- November 2: Deadline for selecting your garbage cart size.
- December 7: Garbage and recycling cart roll-out begins (rollout may take up to two weeks).
- December 30: Last day under the old unlimited collection program. Garbage and recycling carts rented by Local Waste will be collected with garbage and recycling on this day. Details of what to do with your old carts will be provided.
- January 6: First day of the new program and start of the Implementation Period.March 31: Final day of the Implementation Period. Any requests to change carts size must be made in advance of this date.
- May 6: First Unlimited Collection Day
- July 8: Second Unlimited Collection Day
- October 7: Third Unlimited Collection Day
- December 30: Fourth (and final) 2021 Unlimited Collection Day
Program Consideration Process
- Bid New Garbage and Recycling Contract: March-May 2020
- Initial Garbage and Recycling Contract Presentation to City Council: May 26, 2020
- Community Feedback Period
- Community Survey: Fielded May 28-July 10, 2020
- Cart Trials: June 3- July 1, 2020
- Visual Garbage Audit: May 13-July 1, 2020
- SWACO Presentation to City Council: June 9, 2020 | View SWACO’s PowerPoint Presentation
- Ordinance Introduction: July 13, 2020 | View City Council Committee Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Ordinance Third Reading: August 18, 2020 | (City Council approved new contract and standardized cart program).
- New Contract Period: January 1, 2021-December 31, 2025