The City of Whitehall’s garbage and recycling collection contract with Local Waste expires at the end of 2020. In advance of the contract expiring, the City worked with the Solid Waste Agency of Central Ohio (SWACO) to seek bids through a competitive Request for Proposal (RFP) process. Local Waste Services and Rumpke Waste & Recycling submitted bids as part of that process, with Local Waste providing the lowest and best bid. As part of a new contract with Local Waste, the City is considering a new standardized-cart program to replace the current program in which residents use any garbage can of their choice and are provided with 18-gallon recycling totes.
Details of the Potential Standardized Cart Program
Download a Program FAQ Sheet here
As part of the standardized cart program, each household would be asked to select a standard garbage cart size for their family’s waste needs, choosing from a 96-gallon (the default size), 64-gallon or 48-gallon cart, with reduced fees for the two smaller cart options. The City would also provide 64-gallon recycling carts to all homeowners. One garbage and one recycling cart would be provided to each residence at no charge as part of an overall effort to increase recycling in Whitehall. This program is intended to help residents “Pay as You Throw,” allowing those who produce less waste to pay less, with further reduced rates for seniors in the community. Similarly, the standardized carts help reduce litter, increase recycling volume and allow for automated collection by Local Waste.
In addition to setting out their cart(s) each weeks, residents would also be able to set out one bulk item (e.g. unwanted furniture, small appliances) and yard waste. Residents would be able to participate in four unlimited collection days, including following major holidays (e.g. Christmas, Fourth of July, etc.).
(Note: This program is for those who already participate in the City’s collection program with Local Waste. Most apartment complexes/buildings with four or more residential units have individual contracts with waste haulers).
Program Consideration Process
- Bid New Garbage and Recycling Contract: March-May 2020
- Initial Garbage and Recycling Contract Presentation to City Council: May 26, 2020
- Community Feedback Period
- Community Survey: Fielded May 28-July 10, 2020
- Cart Trials: June 3- July 1, 2020
- Visual Garbage Audit: May 13-July 1, 2020
- SWACO Presentation to City Council: June 9, 2020 | View SWACO’s PowerPoint Presentation
- Ordinance Introduction: July 13, 2020 | View City Council Committee Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Ordinance Third Reading: August 18, 2020
- New Contract Period: January 1, 2021-December 31, 2025
- New Cart Rollout: TBD